Position: Library Assistant III – Early Childhood (15 hours/week, .375 FTE)
Opening date: February 1, 2021
Closing date: February 24, 2021
The Jefferson County Library in Port Hadlock, WA, has an opening for a 15-hour/week (.375 FTE) Library Assistant III – Early Childhood. This position is responsible for developing/delivering storytimes (virtual and in-person) for ages 0-5, selecting materials for pre-school-aged youth, and performing standard library circulation and reference duties. Currently, the library is offering virtual programs, virtual reference services, and curbside holds pickup. We anticipate being able to offer limited-in-library services for our patrons soon—however, it is likely that programs will remain virtual into the fall. The person filling this LAIII- Early Childhood position will have the option to telecommute for pre-approved shifts. For a complete description of duties and responsibilities, see the full Job Classification.
This position serves as a valuable and visible resource for young children and their caregivers in Jefferson County. We are seeking candidates who make it their mission to encourage literacy and inspire lifelong learning for our youngest patrons, and who are constantly searching for new opportunities to make public library services relevant to all members of the community. Our LAIII – Early Childhood rock star will be collaborative and tech-savvy, and will recognize the value of close relationships and partnering with other service agencies in rural communities.
Basic responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Selection, promotion, and maintenance of picture books and board books.
- Planning, organizing, and conducting a variety of programs to inform and encourage use of the library by pre-school youth and their caregivers with support from the Youth Services Librarian.
- Provide virtual and in-person assistance at the Information and Children’s desks.
- Assist Youth Services Librarian with instruction activities that demonstrate library resources.
- Work with early childhood education centers and community agencies to encourage use of library resources by pre-school youth and their caregivers.
- Act as an advocate so that administrators, other library staff, and members of the community understand the basis for the library’s early childhood services.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree and two years of library or job-related experience including one year of direct-contact customer service; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A valid driver license.
The Library may accept an equivalent combination of education and experience in lieu of the above requirements.
Complete the application form and submit a cover letter and resumé at:
- Online Application
Brwyn Griffin, Administrative Services Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org, 360-385-6544
The Jefferson County Library provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.